Travel Africa – Tunisia

Tunisia Travel

Frequently asked questions about Tunisia:

1. What is the main religion in Tunisia?

The population is 99 percent Sunni Muslim. Groups that together constitute the remaining 1 percent of the population include Shia Muslims, Baha’is, Jews, and Christians. Christianity is the second largest religion and about 88 percent of Christians are Roman Catholic.

2. Why do many speak French there?

Almost the entire population speaks Tunisian Arabic as a first language. Most inhabitants are also literate in Literary Arabic, which is the country’s official language, as well as French, because the country was a French colony in the past from 1881 to 1956.

3. What was the historical name of Tunisia?

The city of Carthage was founded by Phoenicians coming from the eastern Mediterranean coast. Its name, pronounced Kart Hudesht in their Punic language, meant “new city”. The Punic idiom is a Canaanite language, in the group of Northwest Semitic languages.

4. How is the population called?

A small number of people living in Tunisia still speak a Berber dialect, known as Shelha. Most people now living Tunisian are Maghrebin Arab. However, small groups of Berbers and Jews live in Tunisia. The constitution says that Islam is the official state religion.

5. When was Tunisia founded?

15th of July 1705

If you like to read an Africa trip blog click here.

Tunisia Travel -Tourism

There are several ways to enjoy your vacation in Tunisia, including spending your vacation on the gorgeous Mediterranean beaches, or planning a circuit of Tunisia.

The south of Tunisia is very different from the north. A reputable tour guide is advisable for the south of Tunisia and visitors are advised to avoid the regions adjacent to the Algerian and Libyan borders where kidnappings have been reported.

Temperate in north with mild, rainy winters and hot, dry summers; desert in south. The Tunisian Sahara is quite gentle compared with other deserts, climate-wise. Tunisia is best visited in late spring or late autumn.

Tunisia Travel – Sights

Carthage – Phoenician colony, biggest trade metropolis of the antique world; famously razed by the Romans; remnants now encased in a museum; site easily reached by train from Tunis.

Dougga — impressive ruins of a remote Roman city

Douz — on the edge of the Sahara, where you can hitch a camel ride.

El Jem — one of the best preserved Roman amphitheaters in the world.

Hammamet — on the coast between Tunis and Sousse.

Jebil National Park – a large Saharan National Park with impressive dunes and rock formations

Kerkouane — remnants of the sole untouched Punic settlement which is a UNESCO World Heritage site

Matmata — desert village of cave abodes, where Star Wars’s Tatooine was set

Metlaoui — get aboard the restored Red Lizard vintage train snaking through scenic gorges and hills.

Sufetula (Sbeitla) — well preserved Roman settlement in the mid-west area of Tunisia.

Get more inside information about travel Tunisia at Wikipedia.

Tunisia Travel Safety

Despite of increased safety measures there is a high risk of terroristic attacks in whole Tunisia (2017), including the holiday resorts at the Mediterranean Coast. Targets are security personals and tourists alike. In recent years there were civil injuries after terroristic attacks.

Some of the incidents:

2015/11: Attack on a bus of the guards of the preseident in Tunis. Several people died.
2015/06: Bombing of a Hotel in Sousse.
2015/03: Attack at the Bardo Museum

Travel Tunisia - Tunis
Overview of Tunis
travel tunisia
Historical toilets
traval tunisia
Ancient town
travel tunisia
Ancient Roman Theatre
travel tunisia
Mosque of Kairuan
travel tunisia
Medina of Kairuan
travel Tunisia
Traffic sign in the desert
travel tunisia
Mud Brick Minaret
travel tunisia
Shott El Djerid
travel tunisia
Tunisian Girls in Doux
travel tunisia
Henna

Tunisia Travel

Frequently asked questions about Tunisia:

1. What is the main religion in Tunisia?

The population is 99 percent Sunni Muslim. Groups that together constitute the remaining 1 percent of the population include Shia Muslims, Baha’is, Jews, and Christians. Christianity is the second largest religion and about 88 percent of Christians are Roman Catholic.

2. Why do many speak French there?

Almost the entire population speaks Tunisian Arabic as a first language. Most inhabitants are also literate in Literary Arabic, which is the country’s official language, as well as French, because the country was a French colony in the past from 1881 to 1956.

3. What was the historical name of Tunisia?

The city of Carthage was founded by Phoenicians coming from the eastern Mediterranean coast. Its name, pronounced Kart Hudesht in their Punic language, meant “new city”. The Punic idiom is a Canaanite language, in the group of Northwest Semitic languages.

4. How is the population called?

A small number of people living in Tunisia still speak a Berber dialect, known as Shelha. Most people now living Tunisian are Maghrebin Arab. However, small groups of Berbers and Jews live in Tunisia. The constitution says that Islam is the official state religion.

5. When was Tunisia founded?

15th of July 1705

If you like to read an Africa trip blog click here.

Tunisia Travel -Tourism

There are several ways to enjoy your vacation in Tunisia, including spending your vacation on the gorgeous Mediterranean beaches, or planning a circuit of Tunisia.

The south of Tunisia is very different from the north. A reputable tour guide is advisable for the south of Tunisia and visitors are advised to avoid the regions adjacent to the Algerian and Libyan borders where kidnappings have been reported.

Temperate in north with mild, rainy winters and hot, dry summers; desert in south. The Tunisian Sahara is quite gentle compared with other deserts, climate-wise. Tunisia is best visited in late spring or late autumn.

Tunisia Travel – Sights

Carthage – Phoenician colony, biggest trade metropolis of the antique world; famously razed by the Romans; remnants now encased in a museum; site easily reached by train from Tunis.

Dougga — impressive ruins of a remote Roman city

Douz — on the edge of the Sahara, where you can hitch a camel ride.

El Jem — one of the best preserved Roman amphitheaters in the world.

Hammamet — on the coast between Tunis and Sousse.

Jebil National Park – a large Saharan National Park with impressive dunes and rock formations

Kerkouane — remnants of the sole untouched Punic settlement which is a UNESCO World Heritage site

Matmata — desert village of cave abodes, where Star Wars’s Tatooine was set

Metlaoui — get aboard the restored Red Lizard vintage train snaking through scenic gorges and hills.

Sufetula (Sbeitla) — well preserved Roman settlement in the mid-west area of Tunisia.

Get more inside information about travel Tunisia at Wikipedia.

Tunisia Travel Safety

Despite of increased safety measures there is a high risk of terroristic attacks in whole Tunisia (2017), including the holiday resorts at the Mediterranean Coast. Targets are security personals and tourists alike. In recent years there were civil injuries after terroristic attacks.

Some of the incidents:

2015/11: Attack on a bus of the guards of the preseident in Tunis. Several people died.
2015/06: Bombing of a Hotel in Sousse.
2015/03: Attack at the Bardo Museum

Travel Tunisia - Tunis
Overview of Tunis
travel tunisia
Historical toilets
traval tunisia
Ancient town
travel tunisia
Ancient Roman Theatre
travel tunisia
Mosque of Kairuan
travel tunisia
Medina of Kairuan
travel Tunisia
Traffic sign in the desert
travel tunisia
Mud Brick Minaret
travel tunisia
Shott El Djerid
travel tunisia
Tunisian Girls in Doux
travel tunisia
Henna

Tunisia Travel

Frequently asked questions about Tunisia:

1. What is the main religion in Tunisia?

The population is 99 percent Sunni Muslim. Groups that together constitute the remaining 1 percent of the population include Shia Muslims, Baha’is, Jews, and Christians. Christianity is the second largest religion and about 88 percent of Christians are Roman Catholic.

2. Why do many speak French there?

Almost the entire population speaks Tunisian Arabic as a first language. Most inhabitants are also literate in Literary Arabic, which is the country’s official language, as well as French, because the country was a French colony in the past from 1881 to 1956.

3. What was the historical name of Tunisia?

The city of Carthage was founded by Phoenicians coming from the eastern Mediterranean coast. Its name, pronounced Kart Hudesht in their Punic language, meant “new city”. The Punic idiom is a Canaanite language, in the group of Northwest Semitic languages.

4. How is the population called?

A small number of people living in Tunisia still speak a Berber dialect, known as Shelha. Most people now living Tunisian are Maghrebin Arab. However, small groups of Berbers and Jews live in Tunisia. The constitution says that Islam is the official state religion.

5. When was Tunisia founded?

15th of July 1705

If you like to read an Africa trip blog click here.

Tunisia Travel -Tourism

There are several ways to enjoy your vacation in Tunisia, including spending your vacation on the gorgeous Mediterranean beaches, or planning a circuit of Tunisia.

The south of Tunisia is very different from the north. A reputable tour guide is advisable for the south of Tunisia and visitors are advised to avoid the regions adjacent to the Algerian and Libyan borders where kidnappings have been reported.

Temperate in north with mild, rainy winters and hot, dry summers; desert in south. The Tunisian Sahara is quite gentle compared with other deserts, climate-wise. Tunisia is best visited in late spring or late autumn.

Tunisia Travel – Sights

Carthage – Phoenician colony, biggest trade metropolis of the antique world; famously razed by the Romans; remnants now encased in a museum; site easily reached by train from Tunis.

Dougga — impressive ruins of a remote Roman city

Douz — on the edge of the Sahara, where you can hitch a camel ride.

El Jem — one of the best preserved Roman amphitheaters in the world.

Hammamet — on the coast between Tunis and Sousse.

Jebil National Park – a large Saharan National Park with impressive dunes and rock formations

Kerkouane — remnants of the sole untouched Punic settlement which is a UNESCO World Heritage site

Matmata — desert village of cave abodes, where Star Wars’s Tatooine was set

Metlaoui — get aboard the restored Red Lizard vintage train snaking through scenic gorges and hills.

Sufetula (Sbeitla) — well preserved Roman settlement in the mid-west area of Tunisia.

Get more inside information about travel Tunisia at Wikipedia.

Tunisia Travel Safety

Despite of increased safety measures there is a high risk of terroristic attacks in whole Tunisia (2017), including the holiday resorts at the Mediterranean Coast. Targets are security personals and tourists alike. In recent years there were civil injuries after terroristic attacks.

Some of the incidents:

2015/11: Attack on a bus of the guards of the preseident in Tunis. Several people died.
2015/06: Bombing of a Hotel in Sousse.
2015/03: Attack at the Bardo Museum

Travel Tunisia - Tunis
Overview of Tunis
travel tunisia
Historical toilets
traval tunisia
Ancient town
travel tunisia
Ancient Roman Theatre
travel tunisia
Mosque of Kairuan
travel tunisia
Medina of Kairuan
travel Tunisia
Traffic sign in the desert
travel tunisia
Mud Brick Minaret
travel tunisia
Shott El Djerid
travel tunisia
Tunisian Girls in Doux
travel tunisia
Henna